Your Coach May Say Shake It off but You
Need to Get Checked Out
There are many coaches and trainers who believe that pain is a part of any sport. According to their "grin and bear it" mentality, it is normal to push through the pain and keep on playing or exercising. However, most doctors will agree that continuing to play through a sports-related injury can do more harm and can result in further and more serious damage. Here is the list of sports injury symptoms that you should not ignore from SpineCare Fridley:
- Instability or joint swelling. If you are experiencing one of these problems, then most likely the injury has caused deeper problems. It is extremely important to stop any physical activity in order to not overwork the affected area. Otherwise, you may face more serious problems in the future and a longer recovery period.
- Disruptive pain. It is normal to have sore muscles after a workout. However, if the pain is so severe that it is disrupting your daily activities, it is important to see a doctor for an examination.
- Persistent symptoms. Your body always gives you signals if something is wrong. If you have a sports-related injury, your body will let you know that something is going on. For example, if you are experiencing shooting pain in your shoulder or your knee is throbbing after a workout, it may be necessary to seek medical care.
The Treatment of Sports Injuries
The most common and effective method for treating mild sports injuries is called RICE which stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. If you have a sports-related injury, you should try this method for the first 24-36 hours. If your injury is more severe, then you should see a doctor. It is especially important if you are experiencing one of the following symptoms:
- Crunching or popping sounds
- Instability or weakness
- Visible bumps, lumps, and other deformities
- Difficulty breathing
Can a Chiropractor Help?
Chiropractic adjustments can help heal sports injuries and provide relief for pain caused by an injury. By using spinal adjustments, our chiropractor will reduce your inflammation, alleviate pain, improve joint functioning, and accelerate recovery. Chiropractic adjustments also help prevent sports injuries in the future.
Start Your Life Free From Pain at SpineCare Fridley
Dr. Bertilson and his team of professionals are ready to help you recover from any type of sports injury and get you back to a fulfilling life without pain or discomfort. We will provide a thorough examination and develop a treatment plan suited to meet your health goals. Call SpineCare Fridley in Fridley, MN, today at (763) 780-4300 to schedule a consultation with our chiropractor.